Image for Faulty Electric Blanket story
Faulty Electric Blanket

Methil crews were mobilised to a fire caused by a faulty electric blanket.

Luckily the fire had extinguished on their arrival and all occupants were unharmed.

Crew Manager for Community Safety John Dempsey says “Old and damaged electric blankets continue to be a major cause of fire in the home. Faulty blankets can overheat, malfunction and cause serious injury or death. Older people are at greatest risk, with six times the national average of fatal injuries and twice the national average of non-fatal injuries occurring within that age group”.

The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service are working in partnership to reduce the number of accidental house fires within the Fife area from faulty electric blankets. 

Working with Fife Council’s Protective Services and Fife Cares, our aim is to reduce the number of house fires and resulting injuries caused by faulty electric blankets.

Geoff Bates, Service Manager, Protective Services explains, “51% of the electric blankets tested across Fife last year failed safety checks. The project is open to all members of the community and I would urge Fifers to bring their blankets along to be tested. It’s free, only takes a few minutes, but gives that extra peace of mind that you will be safe. The usual reason blankets fail is that due to their age and continuous use, a fault has developed in the wiring or they don’t have an overheat protection system found in newer blankets.”

The Community Safety Partnership hold these electric blanket testing events for Fife residents and they are held around Fife throughout the year in local community halls. You can bring your blanket along to have a free electrical safety test carried out.  No appointment necessary.

Funding comes from the Electrical Safety Council (ESC) and Scottish & Southern Energy plc (SSE).

Forthcoming electric blanket events:

Electric Blanket Testing 2015

Dates & Venues

 

 

Dates

Time

Area

Venue

Tues 21st April

10.00 – 13.00

Leven

Balmaise Community Centre, Linnwood Drive, Leven, KY8 5AE

Wed 29th April

10.00 – 13.00

Newport

Caledonia Sheltered Housing, Kinbrae Park Gardens, Newport on Tay, DD6 8JX

Tues 12th May

10.00 – 14.00

Glenrothes

Lomond Centre, Woodside Way, Glenrothes, KY7 5RA

Tel 440692

Thurs 21st  May

10.00 – 14.00

St Andrews

Victory Memorial Hall, St Mary’s Place, St Andrews, KY16 9UY. Tel 01334 477708

Thurs 28th May

 

10.00 – 14.00

Rosyth

 

Parkgate Community Centre, Parkgate, Rosyth, KY11 2JW

 

Thurs 3rd Sept

10.00 – 13.00

Ladybank

Caledonia Sheltered Housing, The Maltings, Ladybank, KY15 7JR

Wed 9th Sept

10.00 – 14.00

Dunfermline

Baldridgeburn Community Centre, Baldridgeburn, Dunfermline, KY12 9EH. Tel 01383 724751

Wed 16th Sept

10.00 – 14.00

Kirkcaldy

Templehall Community Centre, Beauly Place, Kirkcaldy, KY2 6EX. Tel 583363

Tues 22nd Sept

10.00 – 13.00

Lochgelly

Lochgelly Centre, Bank Street, Lochgelly, KY5 9RD

 

Tues 29th Sept

10.00 – 13.00

Inverkeithing

Civic Centre, 10 Queen Street, Inverkeithing, KY11 1PA

 

Wed 7th October

11.00 – 14.00

Anstruther

East Neuk Centre, Ladywalk, Anstruther, KY10 3EX

Tel 460573

 

Further information: www.fifedirect.org.uk/electricblankets

 

In other news...

Image for Fearless Hate Crime story

Fearless Hate Crime

Fearless.org urges young people to speak up about hate crime
Image for Playing It Safe: Knife crime prevention resource for primary schools story

Playing It Safe: Knife crime prevention resource for primary schools

No Knives, Better Lives (NKBL) programme has launched a new resource for practitioners working with children aged 6+ to prevent knife carrying.
Generic SubHeadline Image

Stay Safe Around Watercourses This Summer

Scottish Water is urging people to stay safe and not take risks around rivers, reservoirs and lochs this summer.
Image for Preventing Home Accidents story

Preventing Home Accidents

Children’s book being given out in A&E to prevent home accidents

Archive News

05/11/2018 - Fireworks Misuse

Fearless.org urges young people to speak up about fireworks misuse and deliberate fire-raising

09/03/2018 - The page title would be: CO Safety Competition 2018

Can you help us raise awareness of the dangerous gas carbon monoxide?

19/01/2016 - Blind Cords

RoSPA welcomes IKEA’s blind-cord promise to save children’s lives

16/11/2015 - School Bus Signage

This study evaluated Glasgow City Council’s enhanced school bus signage pilot.

19/10/2015 - Hilltop Nusery School

The children at Hilltop Nursery have been looking at Road Safety.

14/09/2015 - Nappy Sack Dangers

RoSPA warns parents of nappy sack dangers

15/07/2015 - The Birthday Party

Storybooks that teach youngsters how to stay safe at home are being made available free of charge.

30/06/2015 - Fire Hydrants

Warning about fire hydrants vandalism

29/06/2015 - Summer Water Safety

Stay safe around watercourses this summer

09/12/2014 - None For The Road

New laws changing the drink drive limit.

08/12/2014 - Memorial Gardens

Community Safety Glasgow has been working in partnership with Dalmarnock Primary and Sacred Heart Primary

05/12/2014 - Play Safe this Winter

Scottish Water is calling on people to play safe around watercourses this winter

17/10/2014 - Bonfire & Fireworks

A safety pack to raise awareness of dangers associated with fireworks and bonfires.

18/06/2014 - Summer Water Safety 2014

PLAY IT SAFE AROUND RIVERS, RESERVOIRS AND LOCHS THIS SUMMER

11/06/2014 - Digital Safety Launch

Pupils at Sinclairtown Primary School launched a new online safety resource for schools across Scotland

24/03/2014 - Child Safety Scotland

Spotlight on young children as first-ever Family Safety Week begins

28/11/2013 - Play Safe this Winter

Scottish Water is reminding customers of the importance of playing safe this winter.

26/09/2013 - JRSOs - Wellshot Primary

Two Glasgow school pupils are creating a real song and dance when it comes to promoting road safety.

24/09/2013 - Basement Blaze

Rapid response sees firefighters in breathing apparatus tackle basement blaze.

24/09/2013 - Man trapped in collision

Emergency services work closely to free man trapped after collision near Oban.

17/09/2013 - Dangers of Liquitabs

Parents urged to store liquitabs out of reach of children

01/09/2013 - Welcome

Welcome to Go Safe Scotland, a new interactive resource for delivering safety education to Scottish children.

26/08/2013 - Rescue in Paisley

Injured man plucked to safety from the White Cart Water after fall from bridge.

26/08/2013 - SFRS warning

SFRS crews have this weekend responded to a spate of rubbish fires across the Edinburgh area.

26/08/2013 - Water safety message

Scottish Water is reminding people to play it safe in or near rivers, reservoirs and lochs.

22/08/2013 - Smoke free homes pledge

Fife householders are making the smoke free homes pledge

22/08/2013 - Electrical fire

Crews from Crewe Toll fire station called to electrical fire at The Green.

22/08/2013 - Crews tackle fires

Crews tackled separate fires in Kilmarnock and Troon

05/08/2013 - North Lanarkshire Fire

Man suffers smoke inhalation in North Lanarkshire fire.

05/08/2013 - Man burned in fire

Firefighters extinguish flames in a flat at a Knightswood tower block.
Show more archived stories

Please select your region from the list below:

Please enter your username and password and press the "log in" button


*

*